Veganism is taking the world by storm, as demand of the popular and healthy alternative lifestyle of “plant based” rises high in shopping centers, restaurants and coffee shops alike
It is getting easier and easier to find Vegan alternatives to some of our favorite classics, just like these buttermilk biscuits! Biscuits are a great addition to any true American breakfast and buttermilk are by far my favorite!
But having family members that live the vegan lifestyle you are always trying to find ways to make the meal as friendly for everyone as possible, right? I get it! So here’s a great, simple and easy recipe for Vegan Buttermilk Biscuits that are just like the real thing!
- 2 cups (250 grams) all-purpose flour, spooned & leveled
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) cold vegan butter
- 3/4 cup – 1 cup (180 ml) cold vegan buttermilk, plus more for the tops of the biscuits
1. Preheat oven to 450°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat and set aside.
2. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt until well combined. Add in the cubed cold butter and cut into the dry ingredients using a pastry cutter (you may also use a food processor for this step) until you have small pea sized pieces of butter. Pour the cold buttermilk into the mixture and gently work it together until the dough starts to come together.
Want More Great Recipes? Click Here
3. Scoop the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently work it together with your hands. Pat the dough into a rectangle and fold it in thirds. Turn the dough, gather any crumbs, and flatten back into a rectangle. Repeat this process two more times.
4. Place the dough onto a lightly floured surface and pat it down into a 1/2-inch thick rectangle (make sure to measure!). Using a floured 2.5-inch biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits. Continue to gather any scrap pieces of dough, patting it back down to 1/2-inch thickness, and cutting it until you have 12 biscuits. I suggest trying to get as many as you can the first time, as you continue to work the dough the biscuits won’t be quite as good.
5. Arrange the biscuits on the baking sheet touching each other. Brush the top of each biscuit with a little bit of buttermilk.
6. Bake at 450°F for about 15-17 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter if desired. Allow to cool for a few minutes, serve, and enjoy!
Now that’s goooood food right!? If you enjoyed today’s recipe remember to share and if you want to keep up with me in my personal life remember to Follow Me on Facebook!